You don’t have to be rich to enjoy this. Despite popular belief, good caviar can be had affordably. Caviar is deliciously salty and goes great with many things. It is low carb and is naturally high in omega-3 fatty acids. Mix that anchovies and vodka, and you have deliciously addictive hors d’oeuvres. This recipe I pulled from an old dutch cookbook, and added a couple things to make this really pop.
- 2 2/3 Tablespoons Butter (or Vegan alternative)
- 1 Tablespoon Vodka (omit or squeeze 1 Lemon for non-Alcoholic)
- 8 Anchovies
- 2 2/3 Tablespoons Caviar
- 8 slices of (low-carb) bread
- Refrigerate caviar and anchovies.
- Toast slices of bread.
- Place butter and vodka (or lemon) into a mixing bowl and mix into soft cream.
- In another mixing bowl, crush anchovies until anchovies are paste-like.
- Add caviar into anchovy bowl and mix until even.
- Spread creamy butter mixture on bread.
- Spread fish mixture on top of bread.
- Serve with lemon or parsley as garnish.
- To make this Vegan: Shred maitake mushrooms, then soak in a salt brine to preferred saltiness to emulate anchovies. Cook mushrooms and then make paste-like. Use vegan alternative for butter.
- Should be kosher as is.
- Remove vodka and replace with lemon to remove alcoholic ingredients. While this doesn’t have the same flavor that vodka does, lemon is a nice complement to the fishy taste.
Like this recipe? Let us know in the comments below!